Thursday, March 17, 2005

The Tenth Good Thing About Barney

a picture book by Judith Viorst, illustrated by Erik Blegvad
"My cat Barney died last Friday. I was very sad.

My mother sat down on my bed, and she gave me a hug.

She said we could have a funeral for Barney in the morning.

She said I should think of ten good things about Barney so I could tell them at the funeral."

The little boy has a problem though. He can only think of nine. But later, after helping his father in the garden, he discovers the tenth, and understands that Barney will always be special to him.

The Tenth Good Thing About Barney is a heartwarming story that shows children how to cope with the death of a loved one. I remember I received this book from my parents after my hamster, Spotty, died. The Tenth Good Thing About Barney showed me that remembering the good things about Spotty would always keep him alive in my heart.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home