Sunday, February 06, 2005

Prince Nautilus

a picture book by Laura Krauss Melmed, illustrated by Henri Sorensen
"In a weathered shack by a windswept shore, two girls lived with their father."
The older sister, Columbine, was very beautiful. "But her heart was as cold as kelp." In contrast, the younger sister, Fiona, was kind and warm-hearted and full of dreams.

One day, while walking along the beach, Fiona finds a shell. When she picks it up, it cries, "Help me, please!" Fiona is amazed to learn that a prince has been trapped inside the shell by an evil wizard.

The sisters set out to free the prince of his spell. Fiona is motivated by purely by the goodness of her heart. Columbine, however, is driven by her shallow goal to marry the prince.

Prince Nautilus is an enchanting fairy tale that takes readers on an exciting adventure filled with magical moments. I remember reading this book with my mom when I was little. Ever since, whenever I see a seashell, I hold it up to my ear in hopes of hearing the voice of a prince who will whisk me away on journeys of my own.

This gorgeous picture book is perfect for all who love adventure. And, the story shows that it's not what's on the outside that counts - it's all about the beauty within.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home