Sunday, November 21, 2004

Owen

a Caldecott Honor picture book by Kevin Henkes
"Owen had a fuzzy yellow blanket.
He'd had it since he was a baby.
He loved it with all his heart."
Fuzzy is Owen's best friend. They do everything together.
"Fuzzy goes where I go."
The neighbor, Mrs. Tweezers, does not approve of Owen's attatchment to his blanket. It's Mrs. Tweezers' opinion that Owen is far too old to be "carrying that thing around." Mrs. Tweezers advises Owen's parents on how to stop Owen from carrying Fuzzy all the time. Owen's parents try everything - from the Blanket Fairy, to soaking Owen's favorite corner of Fuzzy in vinegar. But nothing stops Owen from bringing Fuzzy with him everywhere.

Owen's parents explain that he cannot bring Fuzzy to school. Owen does not take this news well. But, by the end of the story, Owen is still able to carry Fuzzy with him - even at school! But, not the way he thought he would.

Owen is one of my all time favorite books. I love the cute, colorful illustrations. When I was little, I remember being able to relate to Owen so much. At the time, I was very attached to my first (crib) pillow, which I'd named Blue Pillow. Owen made me realize that lots of kids have a hard time letting something go. It wasn't just me! To this day, I still have Blue Pillow. It's barely holding together now, it's so old and worn. But, my mom does the occasional patch job on it, and it has a special place on my bed - and in my heart.

Owen would make an excellent companion book to Wemberly Worried, also by Kevin Henkes. You can find my review for that book here.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home