Thursday, October 28, 2004

Rain Is Not My Indian Name

a novel by Cynthia Leitich Smith

The main reason that this book lingers with me (months after reading it) is Cassidy Rain Berghoff, the fourteen-year-old title character. After losing her best friend, Galen, in a tragic way, Cassidy shuts out the world. Months pass before she grows to realize that she has to get in touch with the world again, even if it's through a job.

The author doesn't make it easy for Cassidy. For example, while on the job as a photographer of an Indian camp run by her Aunt Georgia, Cassidy finds herself torn between getting involved in a personal issue and staying objective and professional. The author does a sensitive and realistic job of handling Cassidy's conflict.

Even though Cassidy is both strong and brave, I found her believable and easy to relate to. By the end of the book, I felt like I knew Cassidy. The author made me care about her - about what would happen to her.

I recommend
Rain is Not My Indian Name to anyone who loves a good story and good characters. This book has both!

(Note: This review was written in 2002, and originally appeared on Virtually Adria.)

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home